Hogg's Hollow is named after James Hogg, a Scotsman from Lanarkshire, who settled here in 1824. Hogg operated a whisky distillery and a grist mill, and was considered the most successful of all the millers in the valley.
In 1856 James Hogg's sons John and William, subdivided their late fathers estate under the name "Hogg's Hollow". The Hogg's Hollow subdivision included one hundred and forty-one lots however only a handful of houses were actually built at this time.
Four of the original Hogg's Hollow houses are still standing. These include two former mill workers cottages, that were relocated in 1986 to 4150 Yonge Street, where they now serve as the entrance to the Auberge du Pommier Restaurant. The other two original houses are located at number one and number five Old Yonge Street. Both of these houses have undergone extensive renovations. The Jolly Miller tavern, circa 1857, situated at 3885 Yonge Street, and the George S. Pratt House, circa 1886, located at 17 Mill Street, are the other historic landmarks in this neighbourhood.
The present day Hogg's Hollow neighbourhood began to be subdivided in the 1920's. This neighbourhood grew in stages and was finally completed in the 1960's.
Not intended to solicit buyers or sellers, landlords or tenants currently under contract.
The trademarks REALTOR®, REALTORS® and the REALTOR® logo are controlled by The Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA) and identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA. The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service® and the associated logos are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are members of CREA.
REALTOR® contact information provided to facilitate inquiries from consumers interested in Real Estate services. Please do not contact the website owner with unsolicited commercial offers.