Todmorden Village grew up around a complex of mills and a brewery that operated near the banks of the Don River beginning in 1795. Many of Todmorden's original families, including the Helliwells and Eastwoods came from Todmorden Village in Yorkshire England. It is this English Village that Todmorden is named after. The Todmorden Mills Heritage Museum situated at the foot of Pottery Road and a small number of workers houses east of Broadview Avenue are vivid reminders of this pioneer community. The history of the Todmorden area north of O'Connor is dominated by the Taylor family who came to the Don Valley in 1834. The Taylors owned all of the land north of O'Connor between Broadview and Woodbine Avenues. The Taylors' business empire in the Don Valley included paper mills, saw mills, grist mills, and the Don Valley Pressed Brick Works which supplied the bricks for many of Toronto's houses and commercial buildings.
The Todmorden Village neighbourhood is a mature, established community with quiet tree-lined streets and solid brick family homes. The rustic beauty of this neighbourhood is shaped by its location perched atop the ancient slopes of the Don Valley ravine. The vast amount of urban forest that shapes the western and northern boundaries of this neighbourhood make Todmorden Village one of the more peaceful and tranquil settings in Toronto.
The houses west of Broadview Avenue consist primarily of Tudor and Cottage style brick homes from the 1930's and 1940's. Sprinkled into this mix are Victorian cottages and row houses that date from the late 1800's and early 1900's. These homes are holdovers from the old Todmorden Village. Many of the houses in this part of the neighbourhood back onto the Don Valley Ravine and enjoy a marvellous view of the city. There are also a handful of low-rise and high-rise apartment buildings situated in this part of the neighbourhood.
The six streets north of O'Connor between Pape and Donlands Avenues have been coined "The Golden Triangle" by real estate agents. These charming Tudor style homes were built in the late 1920's and early 1930's and include many decorative accents like front porches, leaded glass windows, wood burning fireplaces, beautiful wood trim and hardwood floors.
The north-east pocket of Todmorden Village around Four Oaks Park contains some of the prettier stone and brick bungalows in the city. These cosy homes are ideal for singles, couples and empty nesters.
(P) William Burgess School, 100 Torrens Avenue, (416) 396-2490
(P) Chester School, 115 Gowan Avenue, (416) 396-2325
(P) Westwood Junior High School, 994 Carlaw Avenue, (416) 396-2480
(PH) Leaside High School, 200 Hanna Road, (416) 396-2380
(PH) Massey Centre Secondary School, 1102 Broadview Avenue, (416) 425-6348
(CA) Holy Cross, 299A Donlands Avenue, (416) 393-5242