The Summerhill neighbourhood is named after 'Summer Hill' house, a magnificent Regency cottage built in 1842, by transportation baron Charles Thompson. Summer Hill stood on the crest of the hill where the houses on Summerhill Gardens are located today.
Thompson's two hundred acre Summer Hill estate stretched from the present day Yonge Street to Mt. Pleasant Road. On this site Thompson established the 'Summer Hill Spring Park and Pleasure Grounds'. This amusement park featured rides, games, swimming and a popular dance pavilion that was located inside the Summer Hill house. Thompson's heirs subdivided Summer Hill in the 1860's.
From the 1880's onward Summerhill's development revolved around the railway. The first residents of this neighbourhood worked at the North Toronto Railway station which was established on Yonge Street near Summerhill in the 1880's. This station - rebuilt in 1916 - is distinguished by its grand clock tower and now serves as the neighbourhood liquor store.
In the 1920's the Canadian Pacific Railway made Summerhill their main Toronto station. When Summerhill station closed this neighbourhood went into a period of decline that lasted until the Summerhill subway station opened in 1965. Summerhill has enjoyed a position of prominence among Toronto neighbourhoods ever since.
Summerhill's turn of the century houses, winding tree-lined streets, and abundance of parkland have made it one of Toronto's most preferred neighbourhoods. It is conveniently located along the Yonge Street corridor, providing Summerhill residents with easy access to Toronto's downtown business and entertainment districts.
Summerhill's original housing stock consists of semi-detached and detached Victorian houses, and detached Edwardian style houses, built between 1880 and 1915. Many of these houses do not include driveways, however permit street parking is available from the city for a nominal annual fee.
Summerhill also contains a large number of modern townhouses, and a handful of low-rise luxury condominium apartment buildings, built mostly in the 1980's and 1990's.
(P) Cottingham Jr., 85 Birch Avenue, (416) 393-1895
(P) Deer Park Jr. & Sr., 23 Ferndale Avenue, (416) 393-1550
(PH) North Toronto Collegiate Institute, 70 Roehampton Avenue, (416) 393-9180
(PH) Jarvis Collegiate Institute, 495 Jarvis Street, (416) 393-0140
(PR) Branksome Hall, 10 Elm Avenue, (416) 920-9741
(PR) Bishop Strachan School, 298 Lonsdale Road, (416) 4834325
(PR) Upper CanadaCollege, 200 Lonsdale Road, (416) 488-1125
(PR) The York School, 1320 Yonge Street, (416) 926-1325